I must first apologize for the delay in posts. After our last day on the jobsite we took a week or two of much needed r and r, packed up the family and drove 3300 miles from Castor to Little Rock Arkansas. During this time there has been much communication with the company that we work for, and much discussion about hubby getting a contract for permanent placement. We have also been told that there will be a position for me on the next site, and we are very nervous and just wanting to know the date we need to be there.
I’m not going to spoil the surprise by just telling you where we are ending up next, that will be posted below in a video, but it is rural as well, though not as rural as where we are now. Where we are moving has a population of 4008, and where we are now only has just over 900 (though sometimes we wonder if they counted a few of the dogs in that!)
On January 5 we returned home from our family Christmas in Arkansas and I have been searching and sourcing a place for us to live at our next location. This is no easy task though, I must admit. Being the part of the construction project that actually erects the turbines means we are always “late to the show” if you will, in that there are other companies that arrive well before us. Those that build the roads, dig the holes, pour the concrete etc. This means that typically a good portion of the housing in the area is scooped before we are even sure we are going there. It can be a challenge, but hey, I love a good challenge. Of course there is also the fact that we have two small dogs….. albeit very small, but they are canines nonetheless and sometimes a deal breaker when sourcing housing. As well, having three children means that we can’t live in “camp jobs”. Our boys have to have access to school and amenities which sometimes results in a longer commute to the jobsite….. oh, and then there’s daycare. Always a bucket list of stuff that needs to be sourced out. Because of this the company that we work for tries to give us as much advanced warning of the move as possible. If we can pull in to town a week before we have to be on site it means that we have time to settle and source things, work out enrollment into school, transition our autistic son etc.
And then of course there is the packing of the house…… yes, this is going to be a big investment. In all honesty, we are planning a “rubbermaid splurge” because if we are going to be moving constantly we need to make sure we can do so efficiently….. and cardboard boxes just don’t stand the test of time (though they are nice and compact for storage).
We also need to set up the BOB (Bug Out Box) which will encase all of hubby’s work necessities so that if he gets pulled from one site and sent to another he has all he needs in one box ready to go.
So this is where we are at….. we lived in Castor as a family for 5 months (hubby though has been here 8) by the end of January, and it looks like we will be out by February 1, with the hopes of the kiddos finishing school there.
Wish us luck.